Friday, August 28, 2009

A Step to the Left - Notes from Day 1


After packing up (and tearing up) and running head first out of New York with all of my junk, I have amassed the following notes of the first day or so of my journey.


(Note: all times Eastern Standard and estimated)


9:14 AM - Arrive at truck rental trailer-park, located in the part of Manhattan typically reserved for gang fights between the mob and Batman.

9:43 AM - Without much fanfare, I'm on the road with a 16 foot truck, which to my surprise has a much coveted CD player.

10:15 AM - Pick up some donuts and find eight of my closest friends sitting on my front stoop reinacting a scene from a Molly Ringwald movie I once saw half of.

10:34 AM - After four minutes of negotiation, I convince a very stupid women that her car will fit through the space between my truck and the van across the street.

11:44 AM - I'm packed and ready to squirt some.

11:50 AM - Pulling away from my home for the last 3 years without any idea of where I'm going, except that it's west of here and there will probably end up being more trees and less pigeons. (After a few minutes I find my directions and feel more prepared)

11:52 AM - I'm lost.

11:53 AM - Thank you sweet Jesus for the iPhone.

12:02 PM - I catch a final glimps of the NY sky line and wonder when, or if, I'll be back.

12:45 PM - New Jersey does kind of suck, but it's fun to drive.

1:30 PM - Pennsylvania sucks.

2:00 PM - Pennsylvania sucks.

3:00 PM - Pennsylvania sucks.

cont...

3:32 PM - Apparently, other drivers hate people in moving trucks.

3:32 PM - A man passed me, stuck his hand out of his window, and made a very lame pointing jesture to the right. Initially, I believed he was pointing out something cool on that side of the highway, but later realized he wanted me to change lanes. What I told him by not changing lanes was that no one cares what he thinks.

4:10 PM - After stopping for gas at a quant roadside-mall/gas station I decided to take some pictures of some very tasteful, but deadly, 3-d leopard art work (pictured below) that seemed to be featured on every wall. The leopard got the last laugh however, as that very photo killed my phone battery.


4:12 PM - After the leopard incident, the nice, seemingly hillbilly, gas station attendant informed me that while they sold an iPhone car-charger, I would have to wait 20 minutes for his manager to return and open the case it had been stored in. A case that featured such high price merchandise as $9 jelly head phones and the aforementioned $15 phone charger.

5:14 PM - Drank some iced coffee and some peanuts.

cont...

7:25 PM - I was a bit surprised with how emotional I was leaving this morning. It's funny how some things don't outwardly effect you while others do. There had been a lot of build up to today, and I had been hesitant to let it get to me in any sentimental or emotional way.

7:56 PM - After about 8 hours of straight driving, I'm starting to get the hang of working the truck. I no longer feel like an old man driving an unruly lawnmower.

9:00 PM - I'm in Ohio.

9:10 PM - After passing a strangely familiar farm, I'm starting to have flashbacks of coming to New York 3 years ago. I felt so much more stressed coming than I do going. I think NY is inherently stressful to some degree, but I also think I've grown.

11:11 PM - Crossing into Indiana - "Crossroads of America"

11:40 PM - Consumed by me on this leg of the journey so far: 3 Iced Coffees, 2 Bags of Peanuts, some string cheese, a gallon of Apple Juice and a gallon of Orange Juice (w/pulp).

11:49 PM - Weird late night trucker headlight signals. I don't know what 3 short and one long means, but I bet it's dirty.

12:18 AM - Smashmouth's version of "I'm a Believer" on the radio. Hello middle school.

12:19 AM - 90's week on Indiana radio. Love is in the air - along with heavy rain.

2:18 AM - Smooth Jazz while passing through Chicago. Really brings me back.

2:53 AM - Sting's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" while passing Six Flags Great America.

3:00 AM - A roundup of the tolls I've paid today: New Jersey - $5, Pennsylvania - $7, Ohio - $13, Indiana - $4, Chicago - $1:50 + $3 + $1.50 = $6 (they're so tricky).

3:33 AM - On an empty highway in Wisconsin. I think everyone's sleeping. How come I'm not?

4:08 AM - Highway 41 on the way home. Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues." I'm no longer worried about staying awake. But dammit, I want to make it without stopping for gas again.

4:14 AM - The first time on my trip that I can see the stars.

4:27 AM - Starting to have waking visions. But Genesis' "That's All" is rocking it out!

4:38 AM - I've heard a remarkable amount of Journey so far - I would be fist pumping if I wasn't so concerned with 10 and 2.

4:40 AM - More Phil Collins... The clock is my enemy. Why do I care what time it is? Almost there.

5:05 AM - Me and my truck sputter into to Neenah, WI.

Ending stats: 998 miles, 17 hours, 7 States, 4 iced coffees, and 1 bed waiting for me at the top of the stairs.

That's how it went, so far. Only 2,000 miles left to go...

2 comments:

  1. Good luck "on the road" Mr. Kerouac! Keep me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep 'em coming! i see documentarian in your future.

    ReplyDelete