Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Step to the Left - Pit Stop


On the second day, I rested. Or whatever.

On the unofficial second day of my journey (I say unofficial because there was no physical traveling), I took time to sleep a few hours and reorganize my life on wheels.

Aside from being a welcome rest for driver, it also ended up being something of a wonderland for my two turtles in a half-shell (turtle power). I can't say for sure, but I think it was their first experience with grass. It must be similar to southerners first time experiencing snow - with a little more burrowing.

What a trip it's been for them - from parts unknown, to China Town, to the Upper West Side, to a Wisconsin front yard, to... California (and all parts in between). I can't say they can tell the difference, and maybe for them there is none, but they liked the grass anyhow.

It was nice to see the house, and even nicer to see the folks. I said I didn't want a gathering or a dinner or any of those things my extended family seems to live for, but when the inevitable happened, it was nice.

After the party left and a short rain storm blew through (the last one I've seen for two and a half weeks), we reshuffled the load. I couldn't have imagined adding more, but we found a way. With two bikes, a bed, dresser, table, some lamps, a vacuum and a restored antique moped, no one was going to accuse me of traveling light. Oh, did I also mention I picked up a travel buddy? I did - my sister (and future roommate).

After plenty of unwelcome but helpful words of advice, we hit the hay (so to speak), and got ready for our 5 AM call to arms.


No comments:

Post a Comment