Monday, August 17, 2009

On the Road


As you may know (although you probably don't), I'm leaving New York next week. I'm headed West to California for many reason - but probably the biggest reason is change. They say a change will do you good, and I'm hoping they're right.

I've felt a myriad of emotions the past few weeks - since the decision to leave was officially made. The one I feel most often lately is frustration. I'm quick to anger, which has never been a trait of mine. While it may seem very mild to others, it's much more than I'm used to. It's part of my mourning process - it is after all, the end of something very big to me.

Up to this point I've been hesitant to let people in on my reasoning for leaving, even the fact that I'm leaving has been a tightly kept secret. I had planned on making a quick escape and slipping off into the night, but more and more that is seeming difficult. I don't deny that I've made some real and lasting connections here - and that in itself is the hardest part about going. Saying goodbye to the people I've come to rely upon (being basically all alone in a big city), is very difficult.

But I know now that it must be done.

Over the next few weeks I will take this space and use it as a chronicle of my journey both geographically and spiritually from East to West.

3 comments:

  1. nicely done, charles. let the adventure begin! and remember to set up that guest room first thing. i want guest towels, slippers, and andes mints on my pillow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get whatever mints I have lying around and you're gonna like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck... I admire your decision. Sometimes I wish I had the guts to leave this place. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete