Monday, August 3, 2009

Making It


Here's a reenactment of a short conversation I had with jazz vocalist Kate McGarry a little over three years ago:

Charlie: So, how does it feel to have made it?

Kate McGarry: Well, I guess I don't really feel like I've made it.
(I told you it was short)

Kate McGarry has gone on to make it about as much as any real jazz vocalist can. She's permformed with many of the important musicians of our generation, from Maria Schneider and Donny McCaslin to Fred Hersch and Kurt Elling; she's toured the world; and this year was nominated for a Grammy. Any way you slice it, that's making it to me.

But the struggles of the New York scene have been felt even by her, as she's been forced to leave town and head south for nicer weather and an easier day to day. We wish her the best of luck, and hope she returns often.

No comments:

Post a Comment