Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fistfight in Heaven - A few thoughts

A few things I'd like to write about briefly.

First of all, the idea that most artists do their best work on their first try - when they are young.  I do think there is something to this.  Looking at the world with fresh eyes, a different perspective.  Perhaps missing the details, the fine work of a craftsmen - but striking out in a new direction - to use a Star Trek phrase, if I may - a new frontier...  Going where no man has gone before... (Okay, I'm done)  Or maybe just putting two pieces of something together that no one has thought of before (the peanut butter and bananas concept).  Young artists first work will hopefully reveal something that they will continue to cultivate for the rest of their lives.

What if you haven't found your peanut butter and bananas yet?  Well, I think you look for a way to buck the trend.  Break the mold, if there is one.  That's the great thing about statistics, about the majority - it never applies to the individual.  A trend only applies to you if you fit the trend.  No one's saying you will or you must.  You might.


And secondly, I saw I Love You, Man tonight:

I thought it was a semi-interesting take on a wedding setup.  The groom has to find a best friend.  All the characters are super lovable and funny - and that's really what the movie is about.  Absolutely nothing in the plot is surprising - nothing.  But that's okay, because the whole idea is as follows: "Hey, here are some sweet people you would really like to be friends with.  Watch them walk around and talk to each other."  The ending is uneventful, even for an adult comedy.  But that's kind of okay.  I left the theater in a good mood, but sure to forget most of the movie by the time I got back to my apartment.  If I were to invent a scale, I would say it was a CCC out of 5 C's.  Hey, my initials are CC, after all.

Finally, there was someone on the subway tonight reading a book called The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.  The title is intriguing to the point of actual action.  We'll see though.

No comments:

Post a Comment