Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fabian Almazan and the LA LA Land


Last week I got a chance to check out the Terence Blanchard Quintet and hang out with one of my favorite people in the world, pianist Fabian Almazan.

While my revue of their venue (Catalina Jazz Club) wasn't on the rosy side, my review of their set(s) definitely was. They played with imagination and energy and were a bit of a breath of fresh air for someone who hasn't heard a high level of live music lately.

The next day we hung out at a great little taco place (which just so happens is owned by the cousin of jazz singer Diane Reeves) and hit up what is probably the final living saint of record stores, Amoeba Music... it's the highlander, there can be only one.

(the great thing about dropping names in a blog is that you can hyperlink all of them - or is that the worst?)

In a related story, Nick, Fabian and I saw one of the ZZ Tops and heard a guy utter what is, so far, probably the worst iPad joke - "Forget iPad, check out my iC@ck!"

Classy, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment