Sunday, February 22, 2009

I was reading a interview with Todd Howard, a video game creator, yesterday - he was talking about how to make a good game.  One thing he said struck me:
The player experience should go: learn, play, challenge, surprise.  You should always give the player a challenge with a way out, even it is one they don't want to use.  As an example he talked about the nuclear bombs in Fallout 3.  The option is always there if you're in a pinch, but most people finish the game hoarding the mini-nukes.
This seems, to me, to be paralleled in life.  We have these obvious ways to get out of trouble, or make our lives better, but most of us die without ever using them.  I guess this could mean a lot of things, most of which I haven't figured out yet.

I also like the idea of learn, play, challenge, surprise.  I think this could be adapted to music.  I was telling someone the other day that I think good songs are familiar but surprising.  I want people to be instantly comfortable with my songs - and then take them on a ride.  I think my rides are a little more subtle than some others - but a ride nonetheless.

If you want to hear some music that takes you on a wild ride, check out my friend Jonathan's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment